a blog for EDCI 335 and 339

edci335

Blog Post #4

For my 4th blog post, I chose a video that explains how to create inquiry questions. I felt this video was important because creating the question is the first step in any inquiry project whether the teacher chooses the question or the students do. Students in grade 3 and up will probably get the most from this video but it helped clarify the question designing process for me as well. If I was really using this video in my classroom I would create a graphic organizer to help students with some note-taking because it gives a lot of information in a very short period and would be useful to refer back to throughout the year. Here’s a link to the video: 

• What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

This video only requires students to watch and pay attention. As I said before I would create a handout with places for sketches and fill in the blank words as well as pieces of key information to increase their engagement with the material and create a useful document to refer back to in the future. 

• In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

In my experience, students would likely start categorizing the types of questions they are asking into category 1,2 and 3. They also might use some of the language given in the video in order to ask deeper questions. 

• What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

After watching this video I would have students brainstorm lists of questions in a small group. As a class, I would have students pick a topic they were interested in like animals, tv shows, or food, and then have the small groups proceed to write down as many questions as they can about that topic. Then I would have the groups go through and categorize each question as a level 1,2 or 3 question. Groups could then post to Padlet and share a few of the questions they thought were the strongest. Using Padlet would also allow the groups to see and interact with other groups’ questions.

• How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

The use of Padlet for this lesson would allow feedback from not only the teacher but peer feedback as well. 

• How could the video have been designed to generate more or better activity from viewers or students?

The video could have posed the challenge itself rather than having the teacher create the activity.