a blog for EDCI 335 and 339

edci339

Week 1 Discussion

Reflecting on my peers posts

Jayne this post was very relatable. I also love the flexibility of these online classes that are asynchronous as many online classes overlapped with my working hours. I think they provide an opportunity that didn’t exist before for people like you on mat leave or myself working full time or people from all other walks of life to engage with learning in a way they couldn’t before. I also agree that they are lacking in the connection with others piece, which being super into avoiding group work, I have enjoyed in the past. However, I am glad when courses such as this one push me out of my comfort zone to work with others as I find the learning so much more authentic and beneficial. 

I also sympathize with your uncertainty around FIPPA and properly giving credit for resources. It is all so confusing but I think learning about it in this course is a great first step. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 

Jason, I feel like the seamless way you integrate facts and citations into your writing puts us all to shame. Well done! 

I also took some courses through NIDES (everything north of Victoria’s version of SIDES) and upon reading your post got to reflect on the courses I took in high school which were also fully modular and only online and realize how far online learning has come. I had never thought about those courses being in the same category as the few tech ed courses I’ve taken at UVIC simply because the UVIC courses have been so much more interactive and based on learning and growing with others that I didn’t even consider them to be the same type of learning-which, of course, they are at the core. Thank you for helping me realize how far online learning has really come and how positive it can be when you employ connection with others. 

Lisa echoing what everyone has said thank you for being so honest and vulnerable in this podcast. I actually listened to it before I wrote my own and it inspired me to reflect and talk about a time in my life that I try to block out. Even though we had very different experiences with pandemic teaching- I refer to it as my saviour in my post and it truly was, I totally understand the feeling of being overwhelmed and unable to catch up during pandemic teaching. I was just coming at it from a place where my mindset was “this literally can’t get any worse.” Your students are so lucky to have someone who very obviously cares so much about doing such a fantastic job and despite all the challenges associated with the pandemic I am sure you still provided an incredible year for those kids! 

1. Verena

I love the way you integrated your discussion so I can easily see “how” you interacted and engaged with others.